Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Dry, Spiritless List of Activities

Through my connections, I've got myself a job. I'm going to be a doorman. This makes me profoundly happy. As far as I understand it, the job requires me to be reasonably polite, open the door for elderly Jewish ladies and take home $15 per hour. Tough stuff, I know. The sole annoying thing is that I've been waiting for weeks to start. I've been here for a month now and I've worked about four days. I want to get started because the combination of being in a really fun place, being in a really expensive place and having not much to do has given me a severe case of diarrhea, but with money instead of shit.

In fairness to me, I have being making an effort to do free and cheap stuff: I'm reading East of Eden and it's borrowed from the library on my homie's library card. I toured FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology), MoMA, the Transit Museum, the Met and the Guggenheim (I cheated on that one - I just had a look at the lobby because it's pretty and then left) and spent $10 on admission in total. I also saw Diplo, Switch, A-trak and Drop the Lime for free. And I went kayaking in the Hudson for free. I know that was just a list of activites that didn't give any impression of what I actually thought or felt, but I needed to get that stuff down or it would have been lost forever. Forever! I was also at The Rocky Horror Picture Show and an earlyish screening of Windmill followed by a Q&A with the director.

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, you went to the rocky horror! i hope you did the appropriate actions at the appropriate times, and dressed the part!

    ReplyDelete